Le Roy Cemetery Association
A meeting was called on March 13, 1863, to consider the organization of a cemetery association. A committee under the leadership of A.J. Palmer, Rev.T.P.Ropes and William Gilson eventually established the association. Land was purchased and cleared. Following adoption of by-laws and election of officers, the land was surveyed and plots laid out. The cemetery was readied by June of 1866. A new road was laid out to the cemetery on the west edge of "Old Town." The group was dedicated to making a beautiful final resting place for its loved ones.
The first trustees for the association were: Charles Smith, William Graham, J.D. Cowels, S.P. Bacons, T.P. Ropes, W.A. Gilson, J.M. Wycoff, Z.B. Daily and Daniel Caswell. The important position of secretary has been served by J.M. Wycoff from 1863-1923, 60-year term; Charles Palmer, for one year; F.M. Meyer, 8 years from 1924 to 1932; Charles Daily, 33 years from 1932 to 1965; Merle Lamon, 9 years from 1965 to 1974; and Beatrice Volkart, from 1974 until 1991.
During the past 120 years the association has annexed additional lands to meet the needs of the community. It is adjoined by the LeRoy Lutheran and the St. Patrick Catholic Cemeteries. In 1969, a mausoleum was constructed costing $2,500. The City of LeRoy now cares for the cemetery. If you are looking for ancestors or have any questions about the cemetery, please write to the City Clerk or email at email@example.com for further information.